Monday 28 April 2008

Phil Hill and Pebble Beach 1955







Pencil "remarque" on archival Giclee print of one of my illustrations © Paul Chenard 2007
Phil Hill Collection

At the Pebble Beach weekend in 1955, Phil Hill won the race driving a Ferrari 750 Monza. But on the same weekend, he also won Best of Show at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Élégance with his self-restored 1931 Pierce Arrow Model 41, formally belonging to his Aunt. In one weekend, he showed his utter skill as a racer and a restorer.

I thought it would be great to combine the two accomplishments in one piece. I did a pencil sketch "remarque" of his Best of Show win on a Giclee print of my Pebble Beach race illustration and sent it to Mr Hill as a gift. I was told that he and his family very much appreciated it.

No comments: